Monday, December 9, 2013

Identity with Stein

"I am I because my little dog knows me"
Gertrude Stein is asking the question of what makes up identity. To me, she is going back and forth on what it truly means to have. "Thank you for the name. Thank nobody for the same" is a way of stating that names are a huge part of our identity. Names make up probably half of who we think we are. This is a reason for people who do not like their name to actually change their name legally. Sometimes, people try to predict what name goes with what face and what personality. I can honestly say, I've considered many Andrews to be douchebags, mainly because of who they are and what experiences I've had in the past dealing with Andrews. It's also a big reason why I have to write people's names on their cups at Starbucks, to recognize the customer as an individual. Isn't that what Identity is all about? Being an individual is what identity strives to do. The quote from her text, "I am I because my little dog knows me" is a slap to the face of identity because she is saying it really doesn't matter if you think my identity is important because I think it is and so does my dog. That is all that matters. She is stating that we need to look past what everyone else is looking at in terms of identity and we need to look within ourselves and only care what we think, no one else. Identity is the Human mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment